Pages

Sunday 10 September 2017

Washing, washing and yet more washing again...

I had a very fruitful sewing time while the cat was away hubby and two boys were in Europe, but since their return my life seems to revolve around washing, washing and yet more washing every weekend... While spring has officially sprung, the weather is still too wet and / or not reliable enough to dry washing on the rotary line outside, so both clothe horses full of washing are the 'in' look in the Himmelgarten household...

That was just the first half of yesterday...
Not only did the boys bring back photos, souvenirs and memories, they also brought our teenage nephew with them who'll stay with us until the end of the year - yes, I am heavily outnumbered by boys.

My sewing room has become the youngest son's bedroom (nephew is in his old room), so for now I make do with a smaller sewing desk again, out in the family room - not quite as convenient as the sewing room but better than nothing. Purely by fluke I purchased an addition to my sewing gadgets:

A Singer 201K, from approx. 1948/49, after a good clean and lots of oil it's working just fine for piecing
So what have I been up to?










  • Finish Press Start (binding, bury threads)










  • Finish Giant Chevron - done and on my bed (in need of a wash already lol)

  • Pinned up against the bookshelf in the family room
    details...
    more details...
    more details again...



    • Finish Giant Chevron (quilting, binding, bury threads): 38 of 40 cubes quilted, and I have decided on large pebbles for the dark background:


    Originally I had wanted to have it to look like a meandering river, but this didn't look right...
    Better?
    Might no be as clearly a river now, but the pebbles contrast well with the straight lines.

    • Complete remaining Vintage Quilt Revival blocks: I have started piecing the blocks together, 6 rows of 7 blocks each, with 3 1/2" (cut) sashing, and the first two rows are joined. Following +Suz J's example, my horizontal sashing strips are cut to 12 1/2" (block size), with a 3 1/2" square cornerstone in the same colour to  help keep everything lined up and straight. So far so good (with the help of pins:D).
    • Piece Metro Rings top 
    • Plus Block project 
    • 'Arty' Pohutukawa landscape - yet to make more progress
    As I mentioned in my last post, variety keeps me interested and I started & finished two little projects:
    This little triangle "Shades of Grey" (I think that's what I called it?) has winged its way over to Oz to the Brisbane Modern Quilt Guild for an exhibition
    A new little laptop pouch for my colleague & friend

    Sometimes it's a bit frustrating to see such little progress; however, slowly but surely I'll get my resolution list done. How are you doing with any resolutions you made at the start of the year?

    Happy Sewing!

    1 comment:

    1. You have got heaps more done that me! I have the exact same problem with the laundry being on racks all over the place! Bring on summer, I'm so sick of this weather.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting, I love to know you were here!